Many people are unhappy with the size, shape and position of their nose, so if you are feeling this way you are not alone. The nose is the central feature of the face, how it looks can determine what the face looks like overall, whether this is because it is large and dominates the face, if it is crooked and makes you self conscious, or for any other reason. Nose reshaping surgery, also known as rhinoplasty, is one of the most common cosmetic surgery procedures performed across the world, and as well as being requested for cosmetic reasons, it can also be used to correct breathing issues and to help alleviate the symptoms of sleep apnoea. Our surgeons can make your nose smaller, more prominent, slimmer, wider or smooth away unwanted lumps or bumps to help you to feel completely confident in your appearance.
BENEFITS OF HAVING NOSE RESHAPING SURGERY
- Increased self-confidence from a new profile – patients often say they are happy to have photos taken of themselves with their new nose and new found confidence!
- Increased self-esteem
- Removal of a common cause of jibes and teasing
- Option of changing hairstyle – often kept long prior to surgery to “disguise” perceived ‘unwelcome’ features
- Harmony of appearance and correct the asymmetry of your facial features
FACTS ABOUT NOSE RESHAPING
- The operation takes around 2 hours and is carried out under a general anaesthetic.
- The procedure will not affect the appearance of the skin at all.
- No visible scars can be seen.
- Our Surgeons can correct the size and shape of the nose.
- Correct minor breathing issues caused by an injury.
- Reshaping the nose can improve the appearance of the whole face
THE PROCEDURE FOR NOSE RESHAPING SURGERY
- The size, shape and length of the nose can all be altered through a nose reshaping (rhinoplasty) operation.
- The scars are usually all internal and therefore not visible.
- If the nostrils are to be reduced, there will be minimal scarring which is well hidden in the nostril crease.
- The lower part of the nose is made up of cartilage and if your nose tip needs to be reduced, a part of this cartilage will be removed without visible scarring
- If your nose is deviated or bent you may be offered a septo-rhinoplasty to straighten the nose
- At consultation your Cosmetic Surgeon will examine your nose and advise you on the most appropriate procedure for you
CHOOSING TO HAVE NOSE RESHAPING SURGERY
There are many reasons why people choose to have nose reshaping surgery:
- Self-conscious about the size and shape of the nose, especially as it is the most central feature on the face
- Inherited characteristics that may be disproportionate to the overall shape of the face
- Accidents or sports injuries that have changed the shape, leaving unsightly bumps or flattened areas.
WHO SHOULD HAVE NOSE RESHAPING
The final decision will be made between you and your Cosmetic Surgeon. The procedure is most suitable for those patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their nose, who are experiencing breathing difficulties or people who need help to alleviate the symptoms of sleep apnoea.
BEFORE YOUR NOSE RESHAPING SURGERY
It is very important that you explain the changes you are trying to make to your Cosmetic Surgeon – you will need to have realistic expectations, particularly with nose reshaping (rhinoplasty), your Cosmetic Surgeon will tell you what is possible.
Your Surgeon will advise you when you are to discontinue and/or resume activities like smoking, or taking aspirin or any other medication
THE DAY OF YOUR NOSE RESHAPING SURGERY
The Cosmetic Surgeon will visit you in your room and possibly draw marks on your nose in preparation for your surgery.
Your Cosmetic Surgeon will also obtain your final consent and answer any last minute questions you may have.
When you wake up from your anaesthetic you will have a splint over the bridge of your nose, possibly packs inside the nostrils and possibly ice packs over your eyes, to minimise bruising and swelling.
If packs are inserted inside your nose, this will mean that you will have to breathe through your mouth until they are removed the following morning. It is an uncomfortable time and we encourage you to drink plenty of fluids to help avoid a sore throat.
Painkillers will be offered to you; however, the congested nasal feeling is more the reason for the discomfort. The packs will be removed prior to you going home and this will help to make your breathing a little easier.
GOING HOME AFTER NOSE RESHAPING SURGERY
- There will be some numbness, bruising and swelling after the surgery but this will gradually resolve.
- You will need to rest in a semi-upright position for the first few days and avoid bending down.
- There may be some slight bleeding from your nostrils and this can be dabbed away with a tissue. We do not expect a heavy nosebleed – however, any heavy bleeding or other concerns should be reported promptly to your clinic.
- Try to minimise blowing your nose for 2 weeks following surgery, as this can cause further bleeding and bruising. Ice packs will help relieve bruising to the eyes.
- The splint will be removed at the clinic after 7-10 days and you may return to work after this. Most of the bruising should have settled by then. Patients who wear glasses may find these uncomfortable until the splint is removed.
- Contact lenses could well be impossible to insert or remove.
- Whilst you will see an immediate improvement, the result will continue to improve over the next 6-12 months.
- It is advisable to refrain from going back to work for a 10 day period and avoiding contact/impact sports for 3-6 months.
- You will have your own personal Nurse Counsellor both before and after your procedure to support you and answer any questions you may have.
RECOVERY FROM NOSE RESHAPING SURGERY
- Nose reshaping (rhinoplasty) usually requires an overnight stay in hospital.
- It is surprisingly pain-free, very few patients experience any pain only a little discomfort.
- After surgery scars are rarely visible as the incisions are made internally.
- You will need to wear a small plaster dressing (splint) for about seven to ten days following your operation. This will help stabilise the new nose shape and also protect you from any accidental knocks or bumps.